Teresian Cadastre

Formation

The Teresian or Charles VI Cadastre was implemented between 1718 and 1760; it was ordered by Charles VI of Hapsburg in 1714 and was started in 1718.
The first surveys were made in the period 1721-1723 and were interrupted in 1733; they resumed only in 1749, during the reign of Maria Theresa, and ended with the activation of the cadastre in 1760.
It was the first geometric parcel cadastre - so not simply descriptive - whose formation deeds have been preserved

Duchy of Milano

The territory of the Duchy of Milano, transferred in 1713 to Austria, was involved in census surveys between 1721 and 1724; the cadastral surveys were mainly for fiscal and tax purposes.
The census, carried out in a capillary and precise manner, allowed the morphological of the entire region to be reconstructed.

Surveys

For surveys the plane table is used.
The First Station (Prima Stazione) assets identify the limits of land ownership (division into cadastral parcels) with indication of intended use, ownership and extent of the plots.
The Second Station (Seconda Stazione) assets concern buildings.

 

The units of measurement used are the Milanese trebuchet, corresponding to 2.61111 metres and the Milanese perch, equivalent to 654.517962 sqm.

Maps

Each cadastral parcel is marked with a sequential number that refers to overall summary (sommarione)
The overall summary is a list on the side of the table indicating the quality of the crops, their extension, the names of the owners with their social class.
The characteristics of the area are well defined; the representation technique (coloured with watercolours) is very accurate, certain signs used introduce an abstract cartographic symbolism and are used to describe the characteristics of the vegetation; reading the maps can provide land researchers with information on the state of the environment, the hydrography and the vegetation, before they were affected to major changes due to industrial development and urbanization.